Thursday, August 9

September Book Choices

Say gang, so glad to have rejoined the book club team. Here are my three choices. Get your vote up soon. I was thinking about September 10th or 17th as the meeting date. Let me know your preference. Also, can we make sure the new girls are let in on how to access the blog?



Vaclav and Lena seem destined for each other. They meet as children in an ESL class in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. Vaclav is precocious and verbal. Lena, struggling with English, takes comfort in the safety of his adoration, his noisy, loving home, and the care of Rasia, his big-hearted mother. Vaclav imagines their story unfolding like a fairy tale, or the perfect illusion from his treasured Magician’s Almanac. But one day, Lena does not show up for school. She has disappeared from Vaclav and his family’s lives as if by a cruel sleight of hand. For the next seven years, Vaclav says goodnight to Lena without fail, wondering if she is doing the same somewhere. On the eve of Lena’s seventeenth birthday he finds out. In Vaclav & Lena, Haley Tanner has created two unforgettable young protagonists who evoke the joy, the confusion, and the passion of having a profound, everlasting connection.



Exploring the way our choices and relationships are shaped by the menace and beauty of the natural world, Megan Mayhew Bergman’s powerful and heartwarming collection captures the surprising moments when the pull of our biology becomes evident, when love or fear collide with good sense, or when our attachment to an animal or wild place can’t be denied.

In “Housewifely Arts,” a single mother and her son drive hours to track down an African gray parrot that can mimic her deceased mother’s voice. A population-control activist faces the ultimate conflict between her loyalty to the environment and her maternal desire in “Yesterday’s Whales.” And in the title story, a lonely naturalist allows an attractive stranger to lead her and her aging father on a hunt for an elusive woodpecker.

As intelligent as they are moving, the stories in Birds of a Lesser Paradise are alive with emotion, wit, and insight into the impressive power that nature has over all of us. This extraordinary collection introduces a young writer of remarkable talent.


Marriage can be a real killer.
   One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction.” Gone Girl’s toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.
   On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?
   As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?
   With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.



20 comments:

Cory said...

Sometimes I don't get email notifications until someone posts a comment, so here it is. September book choices are up!

erin said...

my vote is for gone girl and i'd prefer sept 10, but i can do both dates.

lindsey lower said...

Great choices, Cory!
I vote for Gone Girl too.
Either date is good with me.

Elaine Davis said...

Yay! These look great. I vote for Vaclav and Lena, and either date works for me. I'll make sure the new kids on the block are on the blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how honored I feel to be a part of the club.

I vote Vaclav and Lena and I am good for either the 10th or 17th...

here's to my first bookclub!

Unknown said...

I vote for Gone Girl! Thanks for including me in this top secret society :) And both dates work for me...

Laura Chancey said...

i vote for vaclav and lena. i'm free either date!

emma said...

ohh tough choice for me between the first and the last, but gone girl wins because i love a good mystery!

i'm also free both dates. :)

Sarah Clapp said...

Gone Girl!

Cory said...

Jamie and Laura, cast your votes, and I'll go ahead and make the call... let's say by Friday?

Jamie said...

I can't do the 10th...sorry Erin! And I'm a little scared about reading it, but Gone Girl sounds intriguing.

Elaine Davis said...

Right now it's 6 Gone Girl, and 3 Vaclav and Lena, so shall we go ahead and call it?

Cory said...

Sure! And lets do the 17th?

Unknown said...

Question: do we always meet at Laura's house, or does it change each week?

Cory said...

It'll be at my house in September. Whoever picks the books hosts that month. I'll send out my address closer to!

Unknown said...

hey guys! i know i missed the vote, but the second one looked cool to me (good choices cory!). alas...i'm looking forward to reading the book and will try to make it on the 17th. it's a certain little girl's first birthday, so i might not make it until bedtime.

Laura Hausen said...

Sorry I missed the vote! My vote would have been Gone Girl anyway! Although, I do like the owl on the cover of Birds of a Lesser Paradise. If we were voting favorite book cover, that would definitely be my choice. :) I'm good with the 17th.

Cory said...

Has anyone already finished their copy of the book that I could borrow? I ordered mine several weeks ago and it still hasn't come...I've got some catching up to do! Thanks!

lindsey lower said...

http://simplystated.realsimple.com/2012/09/10/gone-girls-gillian-flynn-answers-your-questions/
( don't read if you haven't finished the book!)
I found this q&a with the author that I thought was interesting!
I'm really looking forward to talking about the book!

Cory said...

Book club is on for monday at my place! Let's do 7pm. If you need the address, email me at corybo@gmail.com. See ya'll soon!