Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny. Kazuo Ishiguro's sixth novel, Never Let Me Go, is a masterpiece of indirection. Like the students of Hailsham, readers are "told but not told" what is going on and should be allowed to discover the secrets of Hailsham and the truth about these children on their own. Offsetting the bizarreness of these revelations is the placid, measured voice of the narrator, Kathy H., a 31-year-old Hailsham alumna who, at the close of the 1990s, is consciously ending one phase of her life and beginning another. She is in a reflective mood, and recounts not only her childhood memories, but her quest in adulthood to find out more about Hailsham and the idealistic women who ran it. Although often poignant, Kathy's matter-of-fact narration blunts the sharper emotional effects you might expect in a novel that deals with illness, self-sacrifice, and the severe restriction of personal freedoms. As in Ishiguro's best-known work, The Remains of the Day, only after closing the book do you absorb the magnitude of what his characters endure. --Regina Marler
A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House
It is the early 1900s in rural Kentucky, and young Saul Sullivan is
heading up to Redbud Camp to look for work. He is wary but unafraid of
the Cherokee girl there whose beauty is said to cause the death of all
men who see her. But the minute Saul lays eyes on Vine, he knows she is
meant to be his wife. Vine’s mother disapproves of the mixed marriage;
Saul’s mother, Esme, has always been ill at ease around the Cherokee
people. But once Vine walks into God’s Creek, Saul’s mother and brother
Aaron take to her immediately. It quickly becomes clear to Vine, though,
that Aaron is obsessed with her. And when Saul leaves God’s Creek for a
year to work in another county, the wife he leaves behind will never be
the same again. The violence that lies ahead for Vine, will not only
test her spirit, but also her ability to forgive—both others and
herself. . . .
The Small Rain by Madeleine L'Engle
Madeleine L'Engle's classic young adult books include A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Planet, and Certain Women. The Small Rain, an adult novel, focuses on Katherine Forrester, the daughter of distinguished musical artists, whose career as a concert pianist evolves through loves and losses. Katherine is a child growing up in a refined, yet bohemian, artistic ambience--theatrical as well as musical . . . . [Her] adolescence is lonely and difficult, but as Katherine advances to young womanhood, her heart as well as her talent is promisingly engaged (Publishers Weekly).
Also, don't forget to reply with what date works best for our retreat! Either the last weekend in March or the 2nd weekend in April!
Does Februay 25th work for all of you to meet at Allison's?

20 comments:
Feb books up!
My vote is for Never Let Me Go.
I'll post the Feb date options as soon as I hear back from Allison!
parchment of leaves!
and the 25th works for me!
i can do either weekend for the retreat, but i have to be back for a morning drs appt on april 1, so wouldn't be able to stay for a long weekend the last weekend in march unless we made it thurs-sunday.
My vote is parchment leaves
Feb 25 is great for me.
And I'd prefer the last weekend in march!
Never Let Me Go.
Feb. 25th works for me.
I'd prefer the 2nd weekend of April. Is the last weekend of March Easter weekend?
The small rain for me. Feb 25th is great. And the last weekend in march sounds the best for the retreat!
a parchment of leaves.
i'm good with feb. 25th.
i can do either weekend for the retreat, but would prefer march.
So march 31 is Easter if that changes anything for anyone. I think I'd prefer to be here for Easter, but still would be willing to go if that's the only weekend that works for most!
I vote for Never Let Me Go and Feb 25th is good. I'd rather be here on Easter too.
I vote for Never Let Me Go. Read Ishiguro's Remains of the Day and really liked it.
parchment of leaves- feb 25th is good for me!
both weekends work for me for the retreat!
My vote is for The Small Rain (even though it seems to not really be in the running).
I'm excited about joining you all!
Hey this is Allison hanging at Emma's house I think I'm going to call it and go with *Never Let Me Go* because several people have already read Parchment of leaves. I hope it's good...! Meet at my place at 7pm on Feb. 25th
Hello there. My parent's house (in North Georgia) is available for the retreat the last weekend of March. We'll have to bring some extra beds, take care of all the cooking/cleaning. It's a great house, with lots of room, porches for hanging out. There's a movie room, and close by are several vineyards and hikes. It's about 3 1/2 hours away. What do ya'll think?
Scratch that. The last weekend of March is Easter, and I'll be out of town that week in April. If there's ! option, let me know and I'll check with my parents. Otherwise, sorry about that!
Don't forget- tonight at Allison's at 7 pm!
So what about the retreat for April 6th at Jamie's house? Could we get that date finalized or talk about it a little more? I'd love to get a date on the calendar for us to go! What do y'all think? That seemed to be the date most of us could go...
Elaine said the April 6 weekend works for Jamie's farm. And that date seemed to work for the majority so let's plan on that weekend!
Post a Comment